Probiotics & Prebiotics
Jan 04,2023 04:33:38 PM
What are probiotics and prebiotics?
- Probiotics – These are live bacteria found in certain foods or supplements. They can provide numerous health benefits.
- Prebiotics – These substances come from types of carbs (mostly fiber) that humans can’t digest. The beneficial bacteria in your gut eat this fiber.
Prebiotics and probiotics both support the body in building and maintaining a healthy colony of bacteria and other microorganisms, which supports the gut and aids digestion.
These food components help promote beneficial bacteria by providing food and creating an environment where microorganisms can flourish.
Prebiotics are present in fiber-rich foods, such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Probiotics occur in many fermented foods, including yogurt, sauerkraut, and tempeh.
Why are the gut bacteria beneficial?
The good bacteria in your digestive tract help protect you from harmful bacteria and fungi.
A 2013 studyTrusted Source on bacteria in the gut confirms that a wide variety of this good type of bacteria can aid in immune system functions, improve symptoms of depression, and help address obesity, among other benefits (Source 1).
Additionally, some of your gut bacteria form vitamin K and short-chain fatty acids.
Short-chain fatty acids are the main nutrient source of the cells lining the colon. They promote a strong gut barrier that helps keep out harmful substances, viruses, and bacteria. This also helps reduce inflammation and may have the potential to reduce the risk of cancer (Source 2).
Benefits of probiotics
- Improve digestive health
- Gastrointestinal health – people with disorders affecting the stomach and intestines may see improvements with probiotics.
SuperGREEN pH 7.3 & SuperGREEN Detox
- Contains prebiotics and plant enzymes to promote the health of the digestive system and help remove stool in the body
- The gut is where it all starts to have healthy skin. Achieving greater gut health is the key to restore clear and radiant skin. Among the probiotic culture strains, L. acidophilus and B. bifidum are particularly effective to increase the rate of acne clearance and support patients who are under antibiotics acne meditations to have a healthy gut health (Source 3)
Source 1: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3983973/
Source 2: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6463067/
Graphic Source: https://www.futurelearn.com/info/courses/food-as-medicine/0/steps/15161
Jan 05,2023 12:05:04 PM
Jan 05,2023 11:05:22 AM
Jan 04,2023 06:09:00 PM
Jan 04,2023 05:21:55 PM
Jan 04,2023 04:33:38 PM